Who are these tracking companies? Meet AdRoll.
A SPECIAL FEATURE BROUGHT TO YOU BY ROCKET NEWS FROM:
abine DNTme “DO NOT TRACK ME!” Check them out here!
AdRoll is a popular and fast-growing ad network specializing in helping other advertisers (over 5,000 of them) “re-target” you. This means they help bring you ads related to things you’ve shopped for before. Whether you prefer to call them more relevant ads or ads that follow you around, AdRoll is at the cutting edge of this kind of targeted advertising technology today.
How it works:
When you visit a website that works with AdRoll (Facebook or elsewhere), they install a tracker on your computer. If you navigate away from that website without buying anything, AdRoll will serve ads to you for that website, over and over again, in the hopes that you’ll return to that website and finally buy something.
Additionally, AdRoll is currently very active within Facebook’s new advertising exchange, which allows advertisers to learn about you and what you do online while you browse from Facebook. Basically, whenever you login to Facebook, the Facebook cookie on your computer can help AdRoll know about what links and ads you clicked through. They then work with other advertisers to target ads relevant to you when you visit other websites outside of Facebook.
What could AdRoll offer that could be useful to me?
AdRoll’s primary goal is to keep an online store you’ve visited in mind while you’re still browsing around and potentially shopping for the same item at other sites. These stores sometimes offer special deals to shoppers to convince them to to return and make a purchase. AdRoll enables those companies to present those offers to shoppers via the persistent ads that you see while you browse…but at the expense of AdRoll tracking where you’ve browsed and the potential annoyance of many of the same ads being shown to you over and over again.
Read more about some of the other trackers DNTMe is now blocking:
Hours & Info
Sat, Sun & Holidays: Closed
- From Argentina to Alaska, a two year road trip with a 1989 Cadillac limousine
- UPDATE: Murdered mother’s ex husband found hanging from tree in Vancouver
- Hot Model Walks Around Wearing A Painted On Shirt in Copenhagen
- Car-melting London skyscraper to be permanently cooled down
- Who are these tracking companies? Meet [x+1].
- Naked cyclists ride through Toronto
- Seoul: North Korea preparing for 4th nuclear test
- New warnings for women who use NuvaRing contraceptive
- Vancouver councillor wants a permanent home for Vancouver’s ‘love locks’
- Father exchanged nude photos online as 22-month-old son died in hot car